Important Year 2000 note regarding the YEARCUTOFF= option

From: tsdlist@UNX.SAS.COM
Date: Thu Aug 05 1999 - 11:06:21 EDT

IMPORTANT YEAR 2000 INFORMATION

Although the latest release of SAS Software for most operating systems
is Year 2000 compliant, it is crucial that you read the information in
this message and take appropriate action to make sure that your programs
and applications that use the SAS System will process dates correctly
before, during, and after the Year 2000.

SAS Software (after Release 6.04) uses the YEARCUTOFF= option to
determine what century prefix a two-digit year will be associated with.
For example, if you specify YEARCUTOFF=1900, all two-digit years
processed by SAS applications will be assumed to be between 1900 and
1999; if YEARCUTOFF=1950 is specified, all two-digit years between 50
and 99 are assumed to be in the 1900s, while all two-digit years from
00 to 49 are assumed to be from 2000 to 2049.

For Version 6 SAS software (after Release 6.04), the default value of
YEARCUTOFF= is 1900, unless it has been reset by the SAS support
personnel at your site. This means that all two-digit years processed
by SAS Software are assumed to be in the 1900s, and processing any date
information with values greater than December 31, 1999 may produce
incorrect results if they are represented with two-digit years. For
Version 7 and the Version 8 developer's release of SAS software,
the default value of YEARCUTOFF= is 1920. To provide for correct
processing of two-digit years by SAS Software, you should determine
the value of the YEARCUTOFF= option on your system, and modify it if
necessary. To determine the value of the YEARCUTOFF= option, simply
invoke the SAS system and submit the following statements:

proc options option=yearcutoff;
run;

The values of the YEARCUTOFF= option will be displayed in the SAS log.
If the YEARCUTOFF= option is set to 1900, we suggest modifying it to a
value between 1920 and 1950. The optimum value will depend on the range
of dates that you typically process with your SAS applications. If you
do not anticipate processing date values greater than 2020, you can set
YEARCUTOFF=1920; if your SAS applications process dates greater than
2020, you may want to set YEARCUTOFF= to a higher value, such as 1930 or
1950. The process for changing the default value of the YEARCUTOFF= (or
any system option) depends on your specific operating system-consult the
SAS Companion for your operating system or the SAS Help facility for
specific details.

We also recommend that SAS Installation Representatives and SAS Software
Consultants make all SAS software users at their site aware of the
default YEARCUTOFF settings for Version 6, Version 7 and the Version 8
developer's release. An easy way to do this is to display the information
at the top of the SAS log using the NEWS system option. See the SAS
Companion for your operating system or the SAS Help Facility for specific
details on using the NEWS option.

For additional details on how the YEARCUTOFF= option works and how to
determine the optimum setting for the option, refer to the document
"Using the YEARCUTOFF= Option to Interpret Two-Digit Years in Your SAS
Applications," which is available on our World Wide Web site at:

http://www.sas.com/techsup/download/technote/ts597.html

If you do not have access to our web site, you can obtain a copy of the
document by contacting our Technical Support Division at (919) 677-8008.
(Those of you outside the US or Canada should contact your local SAS
Institute Inc. office or subsidiary.) As always, we encourage you to
use the latest version of SAS software. For complete details on the
Year 2000 compliance of SAS Software products, as well as information
and resources for testing your SAS applications for Year 2000 compliance,
refer to our Year 2000 compliance Web page at:

http://www.sas.com/y2k

Thank you for using SAS software!